Thursday, December 11, 2008

NBC 10 Review

NBC 10 debuted their new set and HD newscasts this past Wednesday (12/10). I've watched every newscast since and have a few thoughts.
*The set itself is great. Big improvement over the previous set they've used since 1999. Not sure what the big deal is about the "open anchor desk" and all the fuss made about that...but overall, "good stuff".
*I was disappointed the weather set wasn't overhauled. Looks good, think they could've done better by sprucing it up...
*Hoping the large "NBC10" boxed graphic to the side of the anchor desk mounted on the wall is temporary...much like when channel 6 debuted their set with a "Action News" graphic plastered to the front of the desk. What I'm getting at is I'm hoping we'll soon see a large plasma monitor in place of the graphic picture there now. Otherwise, this is a big mistake in my opinion. If there was a large monitor there--it could be used to toss to stories and live reports.
*Like how the background skyline duratrans goes from light orange in the mornings to blue for the rest of the day. Guess it would be asking too much for a dark shot with the skyline somehow hightlighted with light...
*Obviously, they don't yet have their field cameras lined up for HD yet. Guess that's on the way...
*Love the new weather graphics...hoping they can continue to be more creative in using them...
*The traffic set looks much outdated compared to the new set...
*SPEAKING OF TRAFFIC--they gotta dump this fill-in JANE LAYCHAK! This woman is god-awful...and not even worthy of being on-air in DES MOINES let alone PHILADELPHIA...she has no idea what she's talking about and is like a deer caught in head lights. AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL!
*Love the new transitions and theme music too

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they only bought HD cameras for the studio shots. All the field video is still in SD. I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Anonymous said...

They said on the first night they had 3 in-studio cameras but could only fit two in.
I like the new digs. I agree, the weather set is a bit boring as is Schwartz and Tim Lake. Those two could be gone and I wouldn't miss them. Same for the Laychek chick too.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about the set, its great. However, the station is terrible. I feel bad watching it because they are so terrible. I miss the days of Larry, Renee, John and Vai!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, she nedds to get comfortable with speaking in front of the camera, but she is hot!

Anonymous said...

I agree about the Larry and Renee team being the best the city had....I can do without Bolaris