Monday, January 25, 2010

Sad News To Report...


I've learned from Facebook that former WCAU-TV anchor, Ken Matz, died Saturday January 23rd after a battle with cancer. His son, Justin, posted the announcement Saturday night: "My father, Ken Matz, passed away on January 23 after a long fight against cancer. He fought a long, hard fight and died with his wife, Deb. I miss him very much."
Bloggers who knew or worked with Ken were fast to respond...Richard posted his thoughts, "Ken gave me my first job in broadcasting at WIBG in 1971, and remained a strong influence in my life for decades. I could not have asked for a better or kinder mentor. I miss you, Ken". Matz began his career in radio at WRAW in Reading, PA in 1964. After several years, he went on to Harrisburg from 1966 to 1969 as "Gary Smith". He returned to his native Philadelphia in 1969 where he worked at Top 40 station WIBG Radio 99 until 1976. WXTU personality, Leigh Richards posted her heartfelt thoughts: "We're so sorry to hear this sad news. Your father was a great guy. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all his loved ones".
Matz later worked at KYW newsradio in 1976 after leaving WIBG, then on to a few other stations before landing on his feet in television at channel 6 in Miami, FL where he worked from 1990 to 1992. When Larry Kane jumped ship from WCAU to KYW-TV in 1992 it made room for Matz...who came back to Philadelphia and eventually co-anchored with Jane Robelot. Robelot later went on to the CBS Morning News and Matz was paired with Renee Chenault where he remained until his departure in 1998 back to Florida to enjoy retirement with his wife, Deb.
My condolences go out to the Matz family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww, such sad news. I'm real sorry to read this. Ken was always one of my favorites in philadelphia and such a talented man. God bless him and his family.